Study In The UK University Guide for International Students
Are you planning to move to the UK to pursue your higher education? Then you should be aware of the programs offered in the country to help you narrow down your options since they can help you choose the right course at the right university for you.
This blog is intended to act as the UK university guide for international students. Information on the student visa, scholarships, student life, transport, accommodation, and various universities in the UK that you can consider for your higher education is also included.
WHY STUDY IN THE UK?
Thousands of international students study in the UK every year, giving the UK a relatively strong popularity rating in the educational field. With a multicultural audience and a reputation for elite education, the UK is a perfect destination for international students to pursue their education.
WHAT’S UNIQUE ABOUT UK UNIVERSITIES?
Universities in the UK are one of the best in the world and are steadily performing well in global rankings. According to THE World University Rankings, 11 universities from the UK feature in the top 100 universities in the world. They provide high-quality education and top-quality research facilities. The qualifications and credentials offered by the universities in the UK are accepted by employers and scholars globally. International students are given the resources to acquire expertise, knowledge, experience, rational reasoning and connections to progress their careers.
ELIGIBILITY FOR UG AND PG PROGRAMMES
For UG programmes, the UK university guide for international students is, they must have completed the national High School curriculum (SMA3) with a foundation course recognised by the university or an International Baccalaureate (IB) to apply for direct entry to a British university.In respect to PG programmes, the basic entry qualification for a UK Master's degree is a bachelor's degree (second class) from an accredited university. Nevertheless, international students holding a third-class or pass degree can still enter a master's degree by first studying a Pre-Master's Course in the UK.
HOW TO APPLY FOR TIER4 STUDENT VISA?
In the the UK university guide for international students, they need to obtain a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK. Tier 4 student visas enable people from outside the European Economic Area to study in the UK, generally at a school, college, or university.The best option would be to apply at the earliest as it might take longer during the busy periods, but typically it takes upto 15 days. Be sure to apply 3 months in advance of the start date of your course as it might help you keep your mind focussed on other important aspects.But first, there are a number of things you must attend to.
- Your passport number should be linked to the UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) application.
- You should have good English language skills - required to take approved secure English Language Tests
- You must have an invitation to take part in a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor.
- Apply for a student visa
SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
The universities in the UK don't only provide quality education but also scholarships and financial support to aid the international students in pursuing their higher education. Take a glance about the UK university guide for international students, there is a myriad of financial support for international students in the UK which includes scholarships, grants, bursaries, fellowships, monetary awards and loans, etc.Here are some government and privately funded scholarships for international students that you should know about.
Government Funded Scholarships
- GREAT Scholarships was initiated with the intention to help more Indonesian students to pursue their education in universities in the UK. The cumulative amount of the Indonesian scholarship program is GBP 1000 to GBP 10,000. The single value of each scholarship shall be at least £10,000.
- Lembaga Pengelola Dana Pendidikan (LPDP) which is a Full-time scholarship scheme from the Indonesian Ministry of Finance is provided to all Indonesian citizens.
- Chevening Scholarships are provided to exceptional students from Chevening-eligible countries all over the world. It is a fully funded scholarship and the students who are eligible for this scholarship are those who are seeking a one year master's degree in the UK.
Private Funded Scholarships
Along with the government funded scholarships every university in the UK provides scholarships for international students to study with them. Here are some of the private scholarships from the many. Follow up the UK university guide for international students to know about various scholarships offered by universities.
- The International Student Merit Scholarship is rendered by Coventry University. International students with good Competitive Academics Scores are eligible for this scholarship and the amount provided is upto £2500.
- The International Scholarship is rendered by Queen’s University Belfast. Students with good Competitive Academics Scores are eligible for this scholarship and the amount provided is £2500 or £3000. The university also renders the Queen's Loyalty Scholarship.
- The International Student Scholarship is rendered by the University of Plymouth. The scholarship is based on academic & English language ability and the amount offered is £2000. The university also offers the International Academic Excellence Scholarship.
You can always look for the right scholarship for you by going to the website of the university where your desired course is.
STUDENT LIFE IN THE UK
The United Kingdom is an extraordinary blend of world traditions and contemporary thought, kept together by a powerful sense of identity and tradition. Being an international student, you'll have a series of interesting opportunities ahead of you and have the chance to explore fascinating locations and meet a multitude of people from different cultures. Since the UK has a great cultural diversity, you will definitely find areas that you are comfortable and familiar with and thus you will feel at home faster than you can ever imagine.
Seeking a place to stay must be the top priority on your list when you arrive in the United Kingdom. It's best to schedule this beforehand since you'll be asked about this at the immigration center at the airport. If you are under 18 years of age, then you will need a signed residency permit slip from your guardian. Just go through the UK university guide for international students, If you are planning to live on campus then the cost of living will vary from university to university in the UK. If you are looking for the accommodation off campus then you can search for either university-owned accommodation or private accommodation like flat, studio apartments, homestays, houses and rooms. The average accommodation rent in the UK is £150. In addition to your rent, the UKVI(UK Visas and Immigration) reports that you would need about £104 a week for living expenses.
COMMUTE AND TRANSPORT
Having a better insight into the different transport options using the UK university guide for international students, that can make your commute easier.
- The popular form of commute for international students in the UK is cycling as university campuses are typically situated in smaller cities.
- The other most comfortable transportation option for international students is the buses.
- Trains and coaches are the easiest and cost-efficient way to get around the UK.
- The UK also has taxis with fares ranging from GBP 6.2 to GBP 92 based on the time of the day and the distance covered.
- Trams run in Newcastle, Nottingham, Croydon, Birmingham, London's docklands, Blackpool, Sheffield and Manchester.
The average cost for transport in the UK is GBP 40 per month but there are also other ways to get discounts which is mentioned in the UK university guide for international students. Especially, if you are in London, you can buy a prepaid Oyster card that will make all your travels way easier and cost-efficient too.
Do you know why people say that you need to always carry an umbrella with you during your stay in the UK? This is because the UK weather is always unpredictable. July and August are the warmest months and the average temperature is between 16°C and 21°C. December, January and February are the coldest months and the average temperature ranges between 3°C and 6°C. There is, however, rain all year round, and the weather in England will change very quickly. (Degree)
UNIVERSITIES THAT YOU SHOULD CONSIDER IN THE UK
- University of Plymouth
- University of Exeter
- University of Derby
- Queen’s University Belfast
- University of Essex
- Coventry University
- Cranfield University
There are also other best universities in the UK where you can choose your desired course.So what’s holding you back from studying in the UK. Are you confused about choosing the right university that aligns with your desired course of study? We at AECC Global Indonesia provides the UK university guide for international students, which will help you to choose the right course at the right university. Connect with us to give wings to your dreams in the UK.