Why Study in the UK? Education System in the UK
If books, grand architecture, great public spaces, and breathtaking libraries bring you joy, traveling to the United Kingdom should be on the center stage of your study abroad plans.
Why Study in the UK?
Compared to several other countries, the teaching methods in the United Kingdom is constantly evolving with every passing year to help students develop industry-specific skills.
The innovative education system in the UK focuses on problem-solving & research, independent thinking, and self-motivation. As a result of this in 2018, three universities from the UK got featured in Times Higher Education’s World Ranking. This astonishing achievement is an outcome of the education system to study in UK and its extensive research capabilities.
Having built a world-class higher education system, the UK welcomes almost 460,000 international students from across the globe each year.
Education System in the UK
The UK's education system aims to provide higher education for international students in areas including engineering, art & design, science, business & management, finance, and law.
The legacy and reputation of the education system in the UK act as an epicenter of many scientific research pieces. The UK is responsible for 8% of global scientific publications.
The Education System in the UK and its Level of Courses
With existing regulations in the UK education system, the Higher Education comprised five levels of courses:
- Bachelor's degree
- A Postgraduate degree that leads to a Doctorate
- A Master’s degree.
- Postgraduate diplomas
- Postgraduate certificates of education (PGCE) and professional degrees.
The Education system in the UK offers the following undergraduate degrees.
- BA (Humanities)
- LLB (right)
- BEd (pedagogical sciences)
- BSc (Natural Sciences)
- BMus (music)
- EEng (technical sciences)
- BM or BS (medicine)
The Education system in the UK offers the following postgraduate/masters degrees.
- PGCE, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Certificate of teaching)
- MA, Master of Arts (Humanities)
- DMS, Diploma of Graduate Studies (management)
- MBA, Master of Business Administration(Business Administration)
- MSc, Master of Science ] (Technical Sciences)
- LLM, Master of Law ] (right).
Mode of Higher Education in the UK
- An undergraduate degree in the UK usually takes three years to complete, with an exemption for Scotland as it takes four years to complete.
- Most master’s degrees in the UK have a duration of one year, which allows you to get into the workforce in a short span.
- Degree courses related to architecture or medicine can last up to 7 years.
- London is home to some of the best universities where you can receive high-quality medical education.
- The Education system in the UK helps International students to receive a Masters’s degree by another method, i.e.) by research.
- Students engaging in in-depth research activity on a specific domain related to their bachelor’s degree can be eligible to receive a master’s degree.
A qualification framework is a distinctive feature of the UK's education system that focuses on the academic standards of higher education.
The two frameworks running for higher education qualifications are:
- The Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ) - Degree Awarding Bodies in England, Northern Ireland, and Wales.
- The Framework for Qualifications of Higher Education Institutions in Scotland (FQHEIS).
Quality Assurance Agency (QAA)
An exciting facet of the Education System in the UK is the QAA (Quality Assurance Agency). This agency is an independent body that works for assuring quality standards and improving the quality of higher education in the UK since 1997.
The official guidelines for setting up a quality and academic standards rely on individual universities and colleges, each of which is self-governing and independent.
The role of QAA is to check how well the educational institutions meet their responsibilities, identifying acceptable practices, and making recommendations for improvement, if any.
With several options to explore, the UK is the perfect study destination for all the literacy lovers out there!
It's time to contact us and get suggestions from our expert education counselors to ease your study abroad process!