Want to make the best use of your term break? We have the perfect solution for you! Top universities across the globe are offering international students the option to learn a new course for a fraction of the time. International students can enrol in summer or winter courses to gain new skills and improve their knowledge.
Short-term courses are becoming increasingly popular as students wish to learn something new or different from their current studies. Most countries, including New Zealand, Canada, and the UK have developed short-term course options for international and domestic students. Universities in New York, in particular, have been making heads turn for quite some time with their on-demand short-term courses.
In this blog, we will guide you through the top short courses for international students, eligibility criteria, and the ideal destinations for the students to take short-term courses.
What are Short courses?
Short-term courses are certificate programs students can enrol in during summer or winter breaks. These courses typically last for a few weeks to a month-long.
Why are short-term courses popular among international students?
Short-term courses are popular for a wide variety of reasons:
- An ideal choice to learn some hands-on or complementary skills.
- They provide an excellent opportunity to learn and earn a new certificate in your preferred field of study.
- Enable you to learn and be a part of a global environment.
- Offer an intensive and continuous learning experience to specialise in the same field (that you're pursuing) or learn a new subject of your choice.
Why Should You Consider a Short Course?
Knowing about the possibilities and opportunities in short courses opens you up to a new horizon of hopes and dreams. So, what exactly would you get as an international student from a short-term course? Let's look at some of the top benefits of pursuing a short-term course!
- Allows you to explore new areas of study: Short courses are a boon if you are an international student aspiring to learn a new skill or improve on your secondary interests. Short-term courses allow you to explore an entirely new field without compromising your ongoing studies back home.
- Time and Cost-Effective: The duration of short-term courses varies from a few days to a couple of weeks depending upon the course and the university. You can study abroad without changing your study plan back home. The shorter duration makes it incredibly cost-effective to enrol and complete a course.
- Multidisciplinary specialisation: For instance, if you are pursuing a full-time degree in Hospitality, a short study course in tourism might come in handy. In addition, short courses in leadership, communications, and management have also been of interest among international students.
- Adds a new dimension to your CV: An added certification or recognition improves the value of your CV. This is especially useful when you're looking for job opportunities as a recent graduate. Your additional qualifications and international experience will make you an ideal candidate for hiring managers.
- Benefit from the extra time: Although short-term courses are intensive in terms of syllabus, you will find plenty of chances to explore the country. This would be a great time to meet new people and gain experience.
Eligibility for Short Courses
International applicants must fulfil a few basic and standardised requirements to enrol in a short-term course. Here is the list of requirements:
- Students must ideally be 18 years old upon enrolment. But, students under 18 years can publish a consent form or letter from their parents or legal guardian.
- A temporary student visa or study permit is mandatory.
- International students need to prove their English proficiency by taking up IELTS, TOEFL, or an acceptable equivalent.
- Students also need to provide details of their financial support for the study duration.
- It is also essential for students to submit their birth certificate, academic transcripts from the previous year in case of a UG short course, and their graduation certificate in case of PG. These documents need to be in both the original language and the translated version for submission.
Although some courses may have specific requirements, these are the general guidelines for eligibility.
Where can you pursue an international short course?
Short-term courses have gained momentum globally in recent years. Every top university and institute offers a short course for international and domestic students.
Here are the top six locations we recommend:
- United States of America: As an international student, you can earn your short-term degree or certificate by enrolling in any of the top universities and colleges in the US. We recommend the University of Idaho and Missouri State University.
- New Zealand: Apart from being one of the most peaceful and safest countries in the world, New Zealand is also an excellent study destination for international students. You can enrol in any top university, and rest assured knowing you'll be enrolling in the best. Check our partner universities in New Zealand for the best short-term courses for international students.
- Canada: Canada is the most student-friendly international country and ranks first in quality of life. During your stay, you can explore and meet the warmest and most wonderful people. They provide many options for international students pursuing unique and mainstream courses. So, it'd be a good time now to start your academic journey with our partner universities for the best short course options in Canada.
- United Kingdom: Universities in the UK have a history of providing the best education. Many of the universities even date back to many decades. Every year, the UK welcomes half a million international students for various courses. If the United Kingdom appeals to you, do take a look at our partner universities in the UK for the best short courses to upgrade your resume!
- Malaysia: Did you know that 33% of the Malaysian population consists of Chinese, Indonesian, and Indian natives? Culturally diverse and one of the safest countries in the world, Malaysia has been an in-demand overseas study destination for decades. If you want to pursue a career in a place that feels like home, Malaysia would work best for you!
- Singapore: Consistently ranked the best country for education by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Singapore is renowned not just for the standard of education but equally for factors like affordability, quality of life, ease of earning a PR, etc. Check out our partner universities in Singapore for a memorable academic journey.
Top Short Courses for International Students to Study
Short courses are available in many different fields for international students. To help you make a quicker and easier decision, we have compiled the top 5 short study courses for international students below:
- Business & Management
- Data Sciences & Artificial Intelligence
- Fashion Technology
- International Relations
These options should help you explore more on your area of interest.
Duration and Fees
The duration of the course depends significantly on the nature of the study. Ideally, short courses are anywhere between 4 days and one month. Therefore, it is essential to look into the program details you would like to apply for and plan your stay accordingly.
Some short courses are also one year long and are entirely different from the summer or short study programs.
As an international student, you can expect to spend anywhere from 500 to 800 Euros per program. Some courses may even cost 20,000 Euros. The fees depend mainly upon nature, duration, and the institute you enrol in. Students need to plan for their personal expenses, including food, accommodation and any unforeseen expenses that may arise during their stay.
Short courses are your best bet if you're passionate about learning a quick course that will elevate your CV or broaden your knowledge in any particular field. With the right guidance at the right time, outstanding achievements become possible. So, connect with our counsellors today for expert guidance on short course selection and education abroad.
1. What are the best short study courses to do?
Data Science, Machine Learning, Digital Marketing, Coding certification, Financial Planning, Tourism, etc. are some of the best short courses for international students.
2. How long are typical short courses?
Ideally, the duration of short courses varies from a few days to a couple of weeks to even 6 months depending on the nature of expertise and choice of subjects.
Are short-term courses affordable?
Short-term courses are much cheaper than other degree courses because of the shorter duration. These courses are also equally beneficial and add value to your resume.