Did you know that Malaysia has the highest percentage of international students in Southeast Asia with more than 10 universities in the top 500 2023 QS World Universities rankings? One of the most multicultural and flourishing economies in Southeast Asia, Malaysia offers a safe and welcoming environment for international students. Strategically located in the heart of Southeast Asia, it offers ease of access to other neighbouring countries making it a preferred destination for Indonesian students.
Known for its excellent academic programmes and research reputation, Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is one of the top choices for a wide variety of courses including medicine and health sciences, engineering, business and management, computer science and information technology, and law.
Let's discuss more about the student life, popular courses and scholarships in Heriot-Watt, and why it is an ideal choice for Indonesian students to pursue their higher education.
Why Study at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
Established in 2013, Heriot-Watt University Malaysia offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in various fields, including business, engineering, built environment, and psychology, among others. Here are more reasons why Heriot-Watt is a great place to study in Malaysia:
1. Top Ranked Courses
- With courses that are designed to suit contemporary work culture and corporate requirements, the university's courses are ranked high for their practical application and internship opportunities.
- The university is ranked in the top 300 universities globally in the 2023 QS World University Rankings for Engineering and Computer Science.
- Popular courses in Heriot-Watt include actuarial science, Business Management, Construction Project Management, Quantity Surveying, Renewable Energy Engineering and Psychology.
2. Research Excellence
- Heriot-Watt is one of the top universities in Malaysia for research quality and infrastructure. According to the Research Excellence Framework 2021, 86.8% of the university's research and 88.6% of research outputs were ranked as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent'.
- Research plays a crucial role in courses such as medicine, health sciences and STEM degrees, and Heriot-Watt's courses are designed to provide students with optimum practical knowledge and research skills to equip them for their career and professional development.
- Over 80% of the university's academic staff are currently engaged in research at internationally recognised levels.
3. Holistic Development
- With 29,500 students studying across 143 countries and an alumni base of over 130,000, Heriot-Watt University Malaysia holds testament to aspiring students, becoming thoughtful leaders and professionals in their chosen fields because of the university's focus on holistic development and overall growth.
- The campus has a strong focus on industry engagement, providing students with opportunities for work placements, internships, and networking to help them understand employer expectations and evaluate their career choices.
- The university's multicultural environment nurtures camaraderie among students and promotes cross-cultural understanding and networking, making it one of the top choices for international students.
4. Career Opportunities
- Heriot-Watt has signed a global recruitment partnership with Shorelight, an American organisation that provides a platform for students, universities, and counsellors from around the world to connect and gain outstanding student experiences and high-value partnerships.
- Heriot-Watt is the university of choice across multiple sectors including business and industry, with business graduates being the most sought after by employers worldwide.
- The university has a stellar graduate employability of 95% with its graduates in employment or further study within six months of graduation.
5. Transformative Experiences
- The university has partnered with multiple social impact partners in Malaysia to encourage and promote community engagement and wellbeing. Apart from promoting sustainable development, the university also provides skilled professionals an opportunity to showcase their academic proficiency by developing transformational solutions to global issues.
- Through its EmPOWER Crowdfunding Project, the university has set the goal to raise RM 100,000 to crowdfund 12 deserving charitable organisations and NGOs in Malaysia, including Nicol David Organisation, Mercy Malaysia, Malaysian Association for The Blind (MAB), DiveHeart, and Malaysian Mental Health Association, etc.
- The crowdfunding along with impactful charity activities, has paved the way for students to understand the importance of charity, sustainability, networking and building connections.
Popular Courses in Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
Here is a list of popular courses in Heriot-Watt university Malaysia for international students:
BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
BSc in Construction Project Management
BA in Accountancy and Finance
BSc in Psychology
BEng in Chemical Engineering
MSc in Energy
MSc in International Business Management
MSc in Construction Project Management
MSc in Petroleum Engineering
MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering
PhD in Psychology
PhD in Energy
PhD in Construction Project Management
PhD in Chemical Engineering
PhD in Management
Cost of Studying in Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
|Bachelor's||RM 42,000 to RM 54,000|
|Master's||RM 54,000 to RM 60,000|
|PhD||RM 20,000 to RM 40,000|
Student life at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
The student life at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is diverse and engaging, with a wide range of exciting opportunities for students to get involved in various extracurricular activities and societies. Here's a short glimpse of the student life in the university:
- Student societies: There are over 100 student societies at Heriot-Watt University, covering a range of interests including academic, cultural, philosophical, art and social activities. Joining a society is a great way to meet new people, develop new skills, network and pursue your interests.
- Sports and fitness: The university has excellent sports facilities, including a gym, sports hall, and outdoor pitches. Students can participate in a range of sports activities, from traditional sports such as football and basketball to more niche sports such as archery and fencing.
- Cultural events: The university hosts a range of cultural events throughout the year, including music concerts, open mics, theatre performances, and art exhibitions. These events provide opportunities for students to explore different cultures, pursue their passion and develop a greater appreciation of the arts.
- Student support: Heriot-Watt University provides a range of support services to help students succeed in their studies and in life. These services include academic support, career guidance, and mental health support.
How to Apply to Heriot-watt University Malaysia
Heriot-watt University Malaysia Scholarships
|Foundation Excellence Award||For students who have achieved Grade A (i.e., 70% average score and above) in Heriot-Watt University Malaysia's foundation programme, a RM 12,500 scholarship will be awarded per year for the entire duration of their undergraduate study.|
|High Achievers Scholarship for Foundation Programme||Annual tuition fee waiver of up to RM 10,000 for high achievers.|
|High Achievers Scholarship for Undergraduate Programme||Up to RM 12,000 per year for high achievers.|
How can AECC help?
Malaysia is an incredible place to study and pursue a global career in. And choosing to study in a university that has a global presence would be a great way to make your career aspirations come true. From course counselling to applying to top universities, our expert counsellors at AECC will help you make the right decisions. Connect with us to know more about studying in Heriot-Watt University Malaysia and apply to your desired course right away!
1. Can international students work while studying at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays.
2. What is the cost of living in Malaysia for international students?
The cost of living in Malaysia is relatively affordable compared to other study destinations. On average, international students can expect to spend between RM 1,000 and RM 1,500 per month on accommodation, food, transportation, and other living expenses.
3. What support services are available for international students at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia provides a range of support services for international students, including academic support, accommodation assistance, visa and immigration advice, health and wellness services, and career guidance.
4. What are the entry requirements for international students at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
International students must meet the academic and English language requirements for their chosen course of study. They must also provide proof of their financial ability to cover the tuition fees and living expenses in Malaysia. Visa requirements may also apply.
5. What are the accommodation options available for international students at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia?
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia provides on-campus accommodation options for students, including shared apartments and single rooms. Off-campus accommodation options are also available, such as private apartments and homestays.